Android Auto, Google’s sensible driving companion software program, is a useful device for drivers. It means that you can pair your cellphone to your automobile’s infotainment display and keep related whereas on the highway, all with a well-recognized, easy-to-navigate interface. Whereas most autos that provide Android Auto require a tethered USB connection between the automobile and cellphone, some newer fashions provide a wi-fi various to entry the interface.
Initially restricted to luxurious autos and high trim ranges, wi-fi Android Auto is starting to point out up as a regular function with many carmakers. It is also present in some autos that launched with out it through a software program replace. Plus, a number of equipment add wi-fi performance to some wired Android Auto-compatible setups.
What’s wi-fi Android Auto, and the way does it work?
Wi-fi Android Auto connects your cellphone to your automobile’s head unit through Wi-Fi. When you full the preliminary setup, Android Auto mechanically connects your cellphone to your automobile’s infotainment display every time you get into your automobile.
Like commonplace Android Auto, wi-fi Android Auto overrides your automobile’s native infotainment system and lets your cellphone do the heavy lifting. It requires a suitable head unit and in-vehicle Wi-Fi. Bluetooth can not transmit sufficient information to assist wi-fi Android Auto.
Your automobile’s touchscreen show seems to be quite a bit like your cellphone when Android Auto is related. Appropriate apps out of your smartphone present up as massive icons in your automobile’s display. From right here, you’ll be able to play music or podcasts, use Google Assistant, and see turn-by-turn instructions. Many apps are suitable with Android Auto, together with Audible, Spotify, Waze, and WhatsApp.
We have been anticipating comparatively main overhauls to Android Auto since Might 2022, however regardless of guarantees that the redesign would land “simply in time for summer season,” these modifications have not materialized. Nonetheless, a extra multitasking-friendly and customizable interface must be arriving quickly.
Which automobiles are suitable with wi-fi Android Auto?
Regardless of the large advantages of wi-fi Android Auto, Google hasn’t made a lot of a hubbub concerning the function and the automobiles that assist it. Google’s compatibility checklist would not seem to have been up to date for a while, because it solely reveals that 2019 and newer BMW fashions assist the function.
To that finish, we put collectively our personal wi-fi Android Auto compatibility checklist, which you’ll find on this web page. It isn’t a complete checklist, but it surely contains fashions we have come throughout the place the producer has confirmed assist.
Wi-fi Android Auto will not be included in each leisure bundle or trim stage for each automobile listed. When unsure, do some additional analysis.
Our wi-fi Android Auto checklist is a piece in progress, and we are going to replace it as we discover extra suitable autos.
What if my automobile is not suitable?
Even when your automobile wasn’t initially kitted out with wi-fi Android Auto, there are nonetheless choices to go untethered.
In case your automobile is a post-2018 with built-in Wi-Fi however solely runs common Android Auto through USB, all won’t be misplaced. A number of producers, most notably BMW, have granted wi-fi Android Auto performance to older autos through over-the-air updates. If that is not an possibility, and also you wish to retrofit the function to your trip, now we have excellent news: There are comparatively low-cost dongles in the marketplace that assist you to join wirelessly.
Following its crowdfunding success, the AAWireless is now obtainable via Amazon. Motorola’s well-reviewed MA1 USB adapter can be a well-liked retrofit possibility, although it is in excessive demand, contemplating it is often out of inventory.
Lastly, for these courageous souls that fancy happening the MacGyver route, a hack methodology utilizing an Android TV stick exists, permitting older Android Auto heads to go wi-fi. Simply bear in mind that Google doesn’t assist this selection.
Android Police’s unofficial wi-fi Android Auto compatibility checklist
(Up to date March 2023)
- 2023: MDX, RDX, Integra
- 2022: MDX, RDX
- 2023: A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, E-Tron, E-Tron GT, Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8
- 2022: A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, E-Tron, E-Tron GT, Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8
- 2023: 1 Sequence, 2 Sequence, 3 Sequence, 4 Sequence, 5 Sequence, 7 Sequence, 8 Sequence, iX, i4, M3, M4, M5, M8, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, Z4
- 2022: 1 Sequence, 2 Sequence, 3 Sequence, 4 Sequence, 5 Sequence, 7 Sequence, 8 Sequence, iX, i4, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, Z4
- 2021: 1 Sequence, 4 Sequence
- 2020: 1 Sequence, 2 Sequence, 5 Sequence, 6 Sequence, 7 Sequence, XE, X4, X6
- 2019: 3 Sequence, 8 Sequence, X5, X7, Z4
- 2023: Enclave, Encore GX, Envision
- 2022: Enclave, Encore GX, Envision
- 2023: CT4, CT5, Escalade, Escalade ESV, XT4, XT5, XT6
- 2022: CT4, CT5, Escalade, Escalade ESV, XT4, XT5, XT6
- 2023: Blazer, Bolt EV, Bolt EUV, Camaro, Corvette, Equinox, Malibu, Silverado 1500, Silverado 1500 LTD, Silverado 2500/3500, Suburban/Tahoe, Trailblazer, Traverse
- 2022: Blazer, Bolt EV, Bolt EUV, Camaro, Corvette, Equinox, Malibu, Silverado 1500, Silverado 1500 LTD, Silverado 2500/3500, Suburban/Tahoe, Trailblazer, Traverse
- 2023: Pacifica
- 2022: Pacifica
- 2023: Durango, Hornet
- 2022: Durango
- 2021: Durango
- 2023: Bronco, Edge, E-Transit, Expedition/Expedition Max, F-150, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E
- 2022: Bronco, Edge, E-Transit, Expedition/Expedition Max, F-150, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E
- 2023: Acadia, Canyon, Hummer EV, Sierra 1500, Sierra 1500 LTD, Terrain, Yukon/Yukon XL
- 2022: Acadia, Hummer EV, Sierra 1500, Sierra 1500 LTD, Terrain, Yukon/Yukon XL
- 2023: Accord, Civic
- 2022: Accord, Civic
- 2023: Accent, Elantra, Kona, Kona EV, Palisade, Santa Cruz, Santa Fe, Sonata, Tucson, Venue
- 2022: Accent, Elantra, Kona, Kona EV, Palisade, Santa Cruz, Santa Fe, Sonata, Tucson, Venue
- 2023: Compass, Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee L, Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer
- 2022: Compass, Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee L, Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer
- 2023: Carnival, EV6, Forte, K5, Niro, Rio, Seltos, Sorento, Soul, Sportage, Stinger, Telluride
- 2022: Carnival, Forte, K5, Niro, Rio, Sorento
- 2021: K5, Sorento, Seltos
- 2023: Navigator, Nautilus
- 2022: Navigator, Nautilus
- 2023: Ghibli, GranTurismo, Levante, MC20, Quattroporte
- 2022: Ghibli, Levante, MC20, Quattroporte
- 2023: C-Class, EQE, EQS, GLC
- 2022: EQS, S Class Saloon
- 2021: EQS
- 2023: 911, Cayenne, Panamera, Taycan
- 2022: 911, Cayenne, Panamera, Taycan
- 2023: 1500, 2500/3500, ProMaster
- 2022: 1500, 2500/3500, ProMaster
- 2023: Vary Rover, Vary Rover Sport, Discovery, Defender
- 2022: Vary Rover, Vary Rover Sport, Discovery, Defender
- 2023: Legacy, Outback, Solterra
- 2023: Corolla Hatchback, Crown, Highlander, Tundra, Venza Hybrid
- 2022: Tundra
- 2023: Arteon, Atlas/Atlas Cross Sport, Golf GTI/Golf R, ID.4, Jetta, Taos, Tiguan
- 2022: Arteon, Atlas/Atlas Cross Sport, Golf GTI/Golf R, ID.4, Jetta, Taos, Tiguan
- 2021: Arteon, Atlas/Atlas Cross Sport, Golf GTI/Golf R, ID.4, Jetta, Taos, Tiguan
Extra on Android Auto
Coming from a regular wired setup, wi-fi Android Auto is a large get, streamlining the expertise of utilizing your cellphone to energy your automobile’s infotainment system. Nonetheless, Android Auto is not excellent. There are many issues we do not like about it (why cannot we report accidents from the Android Auto model of Maps?). For extra on how the Android Auto expertise stacks up in opposition to the competitors, take a look at our comparability of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.